Lansing police share school safety tips on road trip
LANSING, Mich. (WLNS) – It’s the first day of school for thousands of students in the greater Lansing area. As the latest round of middle Michigan students now return to class, traffic safety officials want drivers to be careful.
Officials say the roads become busiest at this time of year with parents heading to work, children heading to school and buses leaving.
According to the Lansing Police Department, the number of accidents also increases around the start of the school year.
“Obviously everyone wants to get down to business,” Lansing Police Officer David Dalen said. “People are late, but the most important thing is that you get there safely. It’s no use to you if you speed up and have an accident along the way.
Here are some tips to keep you and your family safe on the roads.
School bus safety tips:
- Stop when you see a school bus with its stop arm extended
- Come to a full stop
- Wait for the stop arm to close or the lights to go out to continue driving
Road Safety Tips:
- Watch out for school zone speed limits
- Watch for flashing yellow lights
- Leave early so you’re not rushed
- Be on the lookout for children while driving
- Stay away from your phone while driving
- stay alert
- Don’t speed up